Part 3.1.2 Earth retaining structures
Appropriate Performance Requirements
Appropriate Performance Requirements :
Where an alternative earth retaining structure design is proposed as a Performance Solution to that described in Part 3.1.2, that proposal must comply with—
- Performance RequirementP2.1.1; and
- The relevant Performance Requirements determined in accordance with A2.2(3) and A2.4(3) as applicable.
Acceptable Construction Manual
Performance RequirementP2.1.1 is satisfied for an earth retaining structure associated with the construction of a building or structure if it is designed and constructed in accordance with AS 4678.
AS 4678 contains requirements for earth retaining structures between 800 mm and 15 m in height, and does not apply to structures which are founded in exceptional site conditions (e.g. landslips), are subjected to sustained cyclic loading or are used for the purposes of water-retaining (e.g. dams and reservoirs).
It should be noted that 18.104.22.168 is only one way of achieving compliance with P2.1.1. Other ways of complying include the following:
- The relevant structural design manuals in Part 3.0.
- The relevant provisions of other Parts of Section 3 relating to earth retaining structures.
- A Performance Solution that uses one of the other NCC Assessment Methods which verifies that compliance with P2.1.1 will be achieved.